With so many uses, this project will keep your kids busy for hours! With easy to follow, step by step directions, young and old can enjoy getting creative with this project! Using a subway tile, paper, glass gems, and Mod Podge, the fun and possibilities are endless!
Altered subway tiles provide many uses. They are perfect as a name plate for a child’s room, a place marker for the dinner table, food labeling when entertaining, table cards for a wedding or event, and so much more! Make this craft at your child’s next party for the perfect party favor!
- Mod Podge
- Paper of Your Choosing
- Foam or Bristle Brush
- Letters (can be stickers or die cuts)
- Ric Rac Ribbon
- 3×6″ Glass Subway Tile (Available from Wholesalers USA)
- Glass Gems of Various Colors (Available from Wholesalers USA)
- E6000 Adhesive (Available from Wholesalers USA)
Note: I find it easier to cut my pieces first and arrange them on the tile to fit my design. The directions below are to make this exact tile.
1. For the background piece, cut a 3X6 piece of paper to fit the subway tile.
2. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the tile and adhere the paper. Press from the middle out to the sides to avoid any bubbles.
3. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the entire tile.
4. Cut the black piece of paper to fit 3X2 ½. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the paper and adhere in the upper right hand corner of the tile.
5. Cut the red piece of paper to fit 1 ¼ X 6. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge and adhere to the bottom of the tile.
6. Apply a thin layer of Mod Podge over the entire tile.
7. Place letters (mine are cut from a Cricut, size 1 inch) on the tile and press gently to hold.
8. Using E6000, adhere the medium glass gem and two small glass gems to the yellow paper. Allow to dry and cut out.
9. Cut 6 inches of Ric Rac and lay over the seam of the papers. Press gently into place.
10. Apply a final coat of Mod Podge over entire subway tile.
11. Cut out the glass gems and arrange on tile to create Mickey’s head. Adhere into place with E6000.
12. Allow to dry.
**This Glass Subway Tile Plaque can be used as a door hanger by applying a ribbon to the back with E6000, and can be used as a place card by adhering a shot glass to the back with E6000!